Monday, June 28, 2010

Aidan's first week...

Aidan completed his first week at his new daycare, Talented Tots. Unfortunately, he did not have the strength to kick any of the number of bugs going around the classroom. On his second day, there was a notice posted that he may have been exposed to either Strep throat or Roseola. I didn't know what the second one was, so I did some research on it. I guess it starts out as a high fever (103-105F) then progresses to a rash that starts on the trunk and moves out to the extremities.

Well on Friday when I picked him up, he had some tiny red dots all over his torso. By Saturday, he had them on his butt and groin area, and by Sunday, they were spread to his hands, feet, and some on his face. I wasn't sure if it was Roseola because he never had a temperature, but it came with the same symptoms.

We postponed his 9 month picture session until next weekend due to his spotted appearence, so hopefully they will be gone, or mostly gone, by next weekend.

Some things I wish were better about the daycare were the sanitation issues in the infant room. At lapetite, the teachers (and visitors) wore shoe covers to protect the bottom of their feet from being exposed to the kids. Talented Tots doesn't have that policy. Also, I don't know how often they clean the toys in between children either. They have a big pile of toys on the play mat, and all the kids play with them. At lapetite, they only allowed one child to play with the toy, then they sanitized it before allowing another child to play with the same toy. I guess that explains how so much sickness is getting spread around so quickly. Some say it is better that he is exposed to it, but I just don't want my baby to suffer just so he can gain immunity to it.

We go to the doctor's office on July 7th for his 9 month well baby visit. We will get a complete work-up and see where he is at with weight, height, and developmental. I am going to ask the doctor about starting him on some table foods (if he recommends it), and transferring him into a big boy carseat.

Since his is already 9 months, we only have 3 months left to prepare him for the next stage in his daycare. He has to be off of the bottle, off of baby food completely, and able to feed himself. It's so hard to think that he will be there soon. I am scared to start him on table food because of allergies, and choking issues. I guess I will have to get over my paranoia and just let him learn by himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment