Thursday, April 8, 2010

Aidan's 6 month Checkup

On Monday, Aidan had his 6 month well-baby visit with Dr. Magee. Overall, he is doing great. He is getting into the 50th percentile in length and head circumference. Weight though, he is still in the 33rd percentile. He weighed in at 17lbs and is 26 1/2 inches long.

I talked to the doctor about his congestion that has been progressively getting worse since he was born. It primarily happens at night and in the morning when he wakes up. We started to run a humidifier, but it doesn't seem to help all the time. He has caught something from daycare, perhaps a cold, cause his nose is running a lot more and he is sneezing frequently. The doctor thinks that he has acid reflux, and started him on prescription Zantac twice a day. Honestly, it's day two and I don't see a difference. But I will give it a little bit more time and see what happens. Another option he have me was to try Claritin for seasonal allergies. I don't think that's the issue either cause he doesn't have itchy or watery eyes. The last option he would try would be to treat him for Asthma...although he doesn't want to, since the medication will make him hyper and keep him up a lot.

My opinion on all of this is that I don't think he has any of the three. I think that he has just been sick for a while and hasn't received anything to treat the infection. Maybe he has a sinus infection or something. I would have suggested breathing treatments or something similar, and maybe an antibiotic. But I really don't want to question the doctor. Plus it is hard to determine the severity of the problem when he is getting over something already. I just feel so bad for him cause it seems like he is having a hard time breathing at night. He even wakes up frequently because he can't breathe, and he doesn't want to sleep without his binkie, so that makes it even harder!

I am supposed to call the doctor back in a couple weeks to let him know how the treatment is going. Hopefully it will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment