Friday, May 27, 2011

my poor, poor baby

From my previous post, you may have noticed that Aidan has been having a tough time with his ears for a while. Well, lately, he has yet again been under the weather.

A little background information first. We went to the doctor on Thursday of last week for his follow up appointment, as seen in my previous post. Well, Thursday night, I started feeling a little under the weather with some cold symptoms and a sore throat. I get to be so lucky that Aidan wakes me up with morning kisses, so of course, germs get spread in my house.

Starting Saturday, Aidan started developing the same symptoms, cough and runny nose with some congestion. I figured it was what I had, and he would get over it in a couple days. Sunday, he started developing a fever and was very lethargic. At first, it was a low grade one, running around 99ish (he usually runs 97-98). So I wasn't really concerned. We gave him some tylenol and let him lay around and snuggle all day. He took 3 naps, which he usually only takes one. We decided that since he never ran a high fever, it would be okay for him to go to daycare Monday. He had began to develop a cough Sunday as well, but it didn't seem to be of a concern (as it was normal with all the other symptoms he was having). Monday morning, he still had a mild temp, not going over 100. His daycare called and told Derek that Aidan had fallen and hurt himself on the playground, was crying and coughing so hard that he couldn't catch his breath. No fever though, yet. I told his daycare that unless he runs a temp, then we would like to keep him there (Normally, I would have picked him up, but I have been working the last 3 nights and it is really hard to sleep with him at home). Not even an hour later, he has a temp of 101.2, so Derek went to pick him up. He took a good long nap after some medicine, and he usually feels better once his fever breaks. Tuesday, still no daycare cause it hasn't been 24 hours, but he still seems to be running a temp (anywhere from 99-101) all day, and is still sluggish. I called the doctor to make an appointment, cause this is just getting ridiculous. We made an appointment for that evening, so both me and Derek can go.

He had a temp at the doctor's office from 100.3-100.8, and was coughing a lot. His coughs freak me out cause he gets to the point that he seems like he will throw up or stop breathing he is coughing so hard. After a long assessment with the doctor, she decides that he does have an ear infection in his ear (I couldn't tell you which one), his throat is red (which she believes is spiking the temps), and his right lower lung sounds a little diminished. She puts him on antibiotics for the ear infection, orders a chest x-ray for his lungs, and gives us an ENT referral. She said his fevers should get better over the next couple days.

Well, the chest x-ray came back normal, thank goodness. So he must just have some serious cold symptoms going on. The ENT doctor/office is supposed to be calling us within the next week to make an appointment.

Aidan still has his deadly cough, which is worse at night and naps. His temp has been staying steady around 97-99. And we are on day 2 of antibiotics. He does seem to be acting better, most of the time. Although he is still fussy. I am running out of ideas on what to do about his cough. We bought some Vicks vapor rub to put on his neck and chest at night. It helped a little bit, but he still wakes up coughing. This is just one of those things that we will have to wait and let it take its coarse. We go back to the doctor still at the end of June, so we will see if he is any better. Hopefully we make it until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment