Sunday, May 16, 2010

graduation day

Today (May 15, 2010) was a very big step in my career. I graduated from Washburn University School of Nursing with a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. I have worked so long and hard to accomplish this goal, and finally after 6 years, I am now able to say that I am a registered nurse (of course, I still have to take my boards to get my license).

The commencement ceremony was long and boring, but what can you expect. I did get a bit anxious when I got up to the stage and was about to walk across. It was very nerve-racking seeing everyone in the audience. I was glad that my family was able to make it, especially my dad. The pinning ceremony was better, but seemed long. I wasn't able to understand what the speakers were saying cause the speaker system was muffled from onstage. Plus the lights were making it hot and gave me a headache. It was pretty awesome to get pinned though. That was the highlight of it. Plus, more family was there and that was awesome too. I am glad that I was able to share such a moment with the ones I love.

Now it is on to bigger and better things in life. I accepted a position as a PRN nurse (as needed)on the Medical/Surgical/Oncology floor at Heartland Regional Medical Center in St. Joseph, MO. I start on June 21, 2010 for orientation, and hope to eventually work full-time within a couple months. I don't have a scheduled date yet to take my boards, but I am hopefully going to get them done (and passed) by mid-June.

My goals are that I want to eventually go back to school and get my MSN (master's) and work as a nurse midwife. For now, I hope to get some experience as an RN and work in med/surg and obstetrics for a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment